Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Nov 7-13

Sun, Nov 7 PM Vista Heights - Sports Complex Activity Type: Street Running

Time: 00:46:22
Distance: 5.25 mi
Elevation Gain: 403 ft

Decent little run to try to get back into the swing of things and see how my feet were doing after the weekend. My left arch was feeling better, but my right peroneal tendon was still sore on my right foot. Slowly, but surely these little aches and pains will work themselves out, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to ramp up the mileage like I need to for the 50 miler yet...we'll see how the rest of the week goes. Raining and 40's. VFF Flows.


Mon, Nov 8 PM OFF, 30 min Lap Swim


Tue, Nov 9 PM
Ag Shop - Cell Site Activity Type: Trail Running

Time: 00:52:03
Distance: 4.43 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,353 ft

Ran this route nice and easy to see how my feet were doing and if the MT101's would help with the tendon issue on my right foot. Good news was that they helped a bunch. I think the 10mm heel lift on these shoes, while not liking that spec much in the past, might really help me keep running for the next few weeks and give my tendon a break. Run was nice and I ran it at a really casual pace most of the way. Started to snow heavily about halfway through and I ended up being a little cold with only shorts, my heavy icebreaker and gloves. Good to feel like I can do a run like this and still recover my tendon...if I can get in some consistent running the next couple of weeks, I may just be crazy enough to try the NF 50 miler. Just found out today that Dave Mackey is going to be there in addition to Tony Krupicka, Geoff Roes, and all the other top names that are going...will be super competitive and a real unique opportunity to watch. NB MT101s.


Wed, Nov 10 PM -
Vista Heights - Activity Type: Street Running

Time: 00:38:09
Distance: 4.01 mi
Elevation Gain: 398 ft

Ran up Vista Heights and around town late at night. Temperature was around 30 degrees and ground was frozen. Felt ok. A little sore from yesterday's decent, but not bad. Looking to run a little longer tomorrow...we'll see how that goes. NB MT101s.



Thurs, Nov 11 PM - Virtue Flats
Activity Type: Trail Running

Time: 01:28:53
Distance: 9.17 mi
Elevation Gain: 726 ft
Ran with Dad and the dogs out at Virtue Flats. Was feeling a little sore initially and tendon in my foot was a little tight, but everything loosened up as we got going. A few good sections of climbing. Was a little muddy in spots, but we were still able to make decent time up and around the hills. NB MT101s.


Fri, Nov 12 OFF - 30 min, .9 mi Lap Swim


Sat, Nov 13th PM -
Elk Creek - 4 Corners - Activity Type: Trail Running

Time: 01:39:55
Distance: 10.94 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,335 ft

Ran up Elk Creek with Dad. Fairly nice weather @ low 40's and no precip. Road was dry until we got into the timber and then there was some snow, ice, and mud mix; fully runable conditions though. Peroneal Tendon was tight for about 2 miles and then by about mile 4 I didn't even feel it until I was done...this is a good sign as it actually felt more sore near the end of our 9 mile run Thursday. Felt pretty good most of the way on this run and pace was good @ 9:08/mile especially since we weren't really pushing. NB MT101s.



Totals for the Week of Nov. 7-13:

5 Runs
33.80 mi
05:25:23 h:m:s
4,216 ft Elevation Gain


This was an encouraging week as I thought last week my hopes of putting in any significant mileage were pretty much non existent. Although this week doesn't represent the type of mileage I was hoping to be putting in by this time, I'm feeling better at the end of this week than I was at the start of it and this is a good sign that my tendon on my foot might be coming around. I'm planning on keeping steady runs in the 4-8 mile range the beginning of next week and then hitting a back to back weekend of long runs in the 15-25 mile range (probably around 3 hours each run, the distance will depend on the amount of elevation gain). Depending on how I recover from this upcoming weekend, I'll know whether my body is up the task...I know that if it is, I'll be shooting for a completion oriented pace as opposed to the sub 10-hour pace I originally had in mind, but the experience will be well worth while.

I felt good on my run on Saturday and enjoyed getting out into the more wintry conditions at the higher elevations. The change to winter though often dreaded is actually a nice change of pace for now. It is so nice to get up in the mountains and beats running in town any day. The running gets so much more simplistic and the time flies up in the mountains...I look at my garmin much less and just enjoy the run.

Have a good week everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how did you and Barry do at the Portland Marathon....never heard any results...I will follow your log more closely now...seems like you are doing the right thing..hard days followed by easy days was always my strategy..throw in a little LSD once in a while...not the drug..love to you and your family..uncle jim

David Henry said...

I wrote a race report on this blog about Portland. If you go to the blogs home page it is about 3 posts back.