Monday, November 29, 2010

Nov 21-27, Change of plans 50K not 50 Miles

The weeks runs:

Sun, Nov 21 PM - Interpretive Center Via Westside Ascent Trail, Mixed street/trails

Time: 02:39:08
Distance: 16.34 mi
Elevation Gain: 775 ft

Ran with Barry to the top of the Interpretive Center. Probably was a mix of 60% road 40% dirt/gravel road and trail. Low 30's and snowing for most of the run. Felt pretty tight at first. Legs finally loosened up around mile 8, but I never felt fresh, which I suppose is normal for a first back to back weekend. Rolled the dice a little with my tendon by using the f-lite 195s, but they worked out great and my tendon must be healing up. I just couldn't bear the thought of running all of the road in something with a larger heel and as thick as the MT 101s. inov-8 f-lite 195s.

Mon, Nov 22 - OFF - Lap Swim 20 min.

Tue, Nov 23 PM - BSS - Pathway - BSS, Street Running

Time: 00:28:11
Distance: 3.33 mi
Elevation Gain: 10 ft

Ran a quick shake out run after work. Temps were dropping fast and was around 12 degrees when I left. Supposed to drop significantly below zero tomorrow. Felt decent considering the mileage I put in last weekend. I'm just going to run easy for the next couple of weeks and be at full strength for the NF 50K. Dropped down to the 50K yesterday and will take a shot at 50 miles next summer. Inov8 F-Lite 195s.

Wed, Nov 24 PM - BSS - Henry Home - BSS, Trail running

Time: 00:42:26
Distance: 4.48 mi
Elevation Gain: 492 ft

Ran to mom and dad's then did the beginning section of the cell site road twice. Temps were in the single digits and there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground. Felt alright once I got going...hard to get going in these temps. Inov8 F-Lite 195s.

Thurs, Nov 25 AM - 2010 Baker City Turkey Trot 5K+, Road Race

Time: 00:22:36
Distance: 3.37 mi
Elevation Gain: 20 ft

This year's Turkey Trot was a great success...tons of people came out with the temps in the single digits to run or walk this race. Felt alright, but didn't have much to give the last mile. Not unexpected considering the mileage I put in last weekend and the fact that I haven't run this fast (6:42/mile pace) since at least September on any given run and that the roads were completely iced over...I'd love to have tried Inov8's OROC 280's out in these conditions. It was good to see most of Baker's runners come out to run/support this. Inov-8 F-Lite 195s.

Fri, Nov 26 - OFF - Lap Swim 45 min (good swim session on this day).

Sat, Nov 27 PM - Water Tower, street running

Time: 00:40:18
Distance: 4.20 mi
Elevation Gain: 289 ft

Ran w/headlamp. 22 degrees and 3 in. of snow on the ground. Felt alright, but not yet fresh or fully recovered. Going to take next week real easy to be fully recovered for the 50K and then take most of December off running to give my body a chance to recharge. NB MT101s.

Totals for Nov 21-27:

7 runs (I had a few short warm up/transportation runs in there that I didn't list in the rundown)
33.72 mi
05:09:31 h:m:s
1,595 ft Elevation Gain

Well, as the title of this post shows, I decided last week to drop my race entry down to the 50K instead of 50 miles. I was initially really bummed out to do this, but had received some great feedback from ultrarunner Yassine Diboun, as well as my parents and wife that it might have been just a little too much to try to squeeze in this year. I guess I figured I could have carried a little more fitness over from my first 50K in September and the PDX Marathon in October, but it seemed that I instead struggled getting back to full health after hitting these first time milestones rather than being able to use them as base for a 50 miler. I'm now looking to make my first bid at a 50 mile race @ White River in Crystal Mountain, WA which takes place in the later part of July. By that time I'm hoping to get a large enough base under my belt that I will be able to actually race the distance rather than just survive it, as I would have been left to do should I have gone through with the 50 mile race this next weekend.

I'm starting to get excited about racing this 50K now. It is very similar to the 50K I did in September even down to the 6,500 ft of elevation gain. This course is supposedly more runable than Cle Elum with the terrain being mostly fire roads where as Cle Elum was nearly 100% rocky/rooty/muddy single track. I'm thinking this should translate to a slightly faster time than my 6:00:42 at Cle Elum, but I think with this much elevation gain, you have to be conservative initially anyway. I'm hoping for a 5:45 as I feel stronger both mentally and physically than Cle Elum, but I'm really just going to have fun and see what happens. Thanks for following my training the last month or so...I probably won't post a training update for this next week, but will post a race report when I get back. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.


Yassine said...

I think that was a wise (although probably difficult) decision to drop to the 50k. The race you're doing is still burly and I think a sub 6 is a good goal to shoot for. I look forward to tracking you and hearing about the weekend. Wish I could be there too....but I can't do it all...even though I try sometimes! ;-) You're gonna love White River 50...what a great 50 to pick for your first. Run strong David and have fun :-)

David Henry said...

Thanks Yassine. I'm starting to get really excited about it and am feeling pretty good. Traveling down there might be really interesting as we keep getting more snow. We are up to around 5-6 inches in town in Baker right now. We are leaving Thursday so I think we will have plenty of time to get there. I'm really looking forward to next year. I was looking back at my mileage this year and I didn't really start upping my mileage till around August and am excited to see the gains if I can build a much higher mileage base this winter/spring heading into White River. We'll have to talk later about what might be a good target time to shoot for at White River. I'll let you know how the weekend goes. It will be fun just to be running in non-freezing temps!