Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On Running, Running On

So, I've been an MIA since September (I could of sworn it was only a couple of months since I blogged last). What in the world have I been up too, you might ask? Well throughout the last few months I've been mostly working, running, going through the adoption process, and trying to stay positive through it.

More on running. It has been a key factor in reducing stress and keeping me healthy (I think from even a lot of the sicknesses going around, but I've got no data to back that up). I think we've possibly moved past the major cold part of the winter which was probably the toughest part of my short running career so far. I can see how winter can be a big struggle for many people. However, if I got myself out in it, things changed and I realized that there is so much that goes on in winter that I never picked up before. Manly, that the natural environment is in a largely in a state of rest, which contrary to our American perceptions, is probably an important activity.

Running will continue to be an important part of my daily activity, with a few races that I'm looking forward to running later this year.

In regards to Alyssa and I's adoption process we are continuing to run onward. It is quite the process and can be thoroughly discouraging at times. We are still waiting to hear about a potential third committee that we were selected to go to, but other than that, no news.

Spiritually, things haven't been particularly revelatory, but I feel a subtle growth none the less. I don't feel that I know anything more, but that I am actually willing to admit I know less, which I supposed is potentially the growth. I think it is the letting go of my need to know and have answers that might be of more value to me now. Don't get me wrong, knowledge is not inconsequential, but it has often been co-opted by blinding self-confidence in me instead of wrapped in humility and compassion.

Just some thoughts of this day. Hopefully this a return to the practice of blogging for me. Take care everyone.

4 comments:

Big Poppa said...

Hey David, good to hear from you. I see you out running all the time, but I am always in the car. I can relate to your struggle to stay consistent in the winter. We have been riding a little this winter, but so much of it is out of our hands. Hopefully we can catch up some time.

Aaron

Big Poppa said...

I am leaving another comment only because I forgot to check the box that makes it so follow-up comments are e-mailed to me.

Aaron

David Henry said...

Aaron,

Yeah, the winter running can be hard. It is amazing how you can get used to it though. The first couple weeks of real winter, I thought I was going to die and my feet were always cold. Now I can run well below 32 F and feel pretty comfortable. Our bodies do really adapt well.

Hope to see you soon.

David

Learning to Love said...

Dave,

Thanks for the post, its good to hear from you again. I really like what you said about your spirituality. That your willing to admit that perhaps you have nothing new and profound to say, but in the end that could be growth. I feel like I am in the same boat, but obviously in my own journey. Spirituality is so much apart of my life, but I am doing a lot more listening. Listening to the world, to people, and to God. Trying to see what insights I might bring into my life.